Can I make changes to my place?

If you want to make structural changes or add a fixture to your place, you must get a written agreement from your lessor or agent beforehand. The written agreement should state the detail and type of fixtures to be attached, any agreed terms regarding whether or not you can remove the fixture when you leave. If damage occurs during removal, the agreement should state how it will be repaired and if compensation is to be paid to the lessor, if removal is not allowed then an agreement about compensation paid to the tenant is advisable if the fixtures are to remain.  Examples of fixtures include picture hooks, locks, clothesline, air conditioners, fencing, carpets, TV antennae, ramps, grab rails and window awnings and blinds. Your lessor is not allowed to refuse your reasonable requests to make changes or add fixtures to the place.

For more information please see our factsheet.

This entry was posted in FAQ. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.