General Tenancy


Statewide advice number

1300 744 263

Click on the links below for information about the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 and how it applies to common tenancy issues affecting tenants and residents in Queensland.

Minimum Housing Standards

Renting in Queensland

Starting a tenancy

Pets in Rental Properties

Rent and other charges

Rental Bonds

Repairs and maintenance

Entry and privacy

You Want to Leave

Lessor ends the tenancy

Resolving tenancy disputes

Tenancy Databases

Solving disputes – going to QCAT for a tenancy tribunal hearing

This information applies for tenants in general tenancies (renting a flat, unit or house), tenants in moveable tenancies (renting in a caravan park) and residents in rooming accommodation  (renting a room only where you share common areas, such as a kitchen, or bathroom, with other residents)

If you rent a room in rooming accommodation you may also want to see  Rooming Accommodation information for residents

If you rent in shared accommodation, or if violence affects your tenancy, visit the Tenants Queensland website  Share house fact sheets :

Share Housing – Your Legal Status

COVID 19 and sharehousing – information and hints for sharehouses. You can access a copy of the fact sheet by clicking here (2/4/2020)

Terminating Co-tenancies When Not All Tenants Leave

When Violence Affects Your Tenancy