Info for Qld renters


Statewide advice number

1300 744 263

Information for Queensland renters

In Queensland the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 is the legislation that covers all residential tenancies in Queensland, including general tenancies (flats, units houses etc), moveable dwelling tenancies (caravan park) and rooming accommodation (renting a room only and sharing common kitchen or bathroom facilities).

Tenancy laws apply whether you rent from a private lessor, a real estate agent, a caravan park manager, a rooming accommodation provider, or rent public or community housing from the government, or a community housing provider.

Even if your renting arrangement is not covered by tenancy laws, such a boarders or lodgers in share accommodation, any bond money paid  that you pay for residential renting accommodation is covered by the Act and the person you pay bond to must lodge your bond money with the RTA.

Tenancy facts

For information on common tenancy issues see the Tenants Queensland Tenancy Fact sheets, which includes information about your rights and responsibilities if you are a tenant in a general tenancy, caravan tenancy, or a resident in rooming accommodation.

If you are in rooming accommodation you can also see the Rooming fact sheets. If you live in shared accommodation or are experiencing violence in a shared tenancy see the Sharehouse fact sheets.

Manufactured Homes

If you own and live in a mobile home or manufactured home your agreement is under the Manufactured Homes (Residential Parks) Act 2003. See the Manufactured Homes fact sheets on the Tenants Queensland website at or contact the Parks and Village Information service at Caxton Legal Service.

Social housing tenants

If you rent social housing, such as public housing managed by the Queensland government Housing Services, or community housing managed by a community housing provider additional housing policies will apply to your tenancy, in addition to Queensland tenancy laws.

If you have a tenancy dispute you can use the steps to resolve a dispute under the tenancy law. If your dispute relates to a policy decision, such as a dispute regarding your eligibility or a dispute over how your rent has been assessed,  you will need contact your housing provider to seek a review or to appeal a housing policy decision. The Department of Housing website has information about how you can appeal housing policy decisions.

Solving tenancy disputes

For information and videos on how to solve a tenancy dispute or what to expect if you need to attend a QCAT tenancy hearing see Solving disputes and the Resolving Tenancy Disputes fact sheets.

Who rents?

In Queensland one in three households lives in rental accommodation. The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) is the Queensland government authority that oversees the Act.

What is the RTA

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) provides tenancy information and services for all parties, including lessors, agents, providers, tenants and residents.

The RTA provides a telephone information service, a free dispute resolution service and tenancy forms and publications which are available online at or call the RTA on 1300 366 311.

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) holds rental bonds during the tenancy and currently holds over $750,000,000 of rental bonds on behalf of over 500,000 tenants and rooming residents in Queensland.

The RTA can also investigate complaints about failure to comply with the Act, such as failure to lodge rental bonds or provide written agreements.

You can also view RTA median rent data for Queensland suburbs and regions.

What is QCAT?

In Queensland if parties cannot resolve a tenancy dispute they can apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) for a tenancy hearing. QCAT forms and information is available on the QCAT website.

You can apply directly to QCAT for urgent tenancy matters – these are defined in the Act. Urgent applications include terminations and emergency repairs.

For non-urgent matters, such as disputes over bond, compensation claims, or breach of the agreement, you must first apply to the RTA Dispute Resolution Service and attempt to resolve the dispute, before you can apply to QCAT for a non-urgent tenancy hearing.

For more information on resolving tenancy disputes and see the Resolving Tenancy Disputes fact sheet or see Solving disputes videos and information to assist you to solve a dispute or attend a tenancy hearing in QCAT

Housing assistance

The Queensland Department of Housing and Public Works provides a range of programs to assist people looking for rental housing, renting in government or community managed housing (social housing), or renting in the private market

Private rental assistance programs include bond loans and Rent Connect

The Rent Connect program helps people in Queensland find and secure a tenancy in the private rental market. Rent Connect also has a series of fact sheets with tips on looking for rental accommodation.

Social housing programs include public housing and community managed housing. Information is available on the Queensland Department of Housing website, including information about eligibility guidelines and how to apply for social housing.

You can visit your local Housing Services Office for more information

Homelessness services

If you are homeless and need assistance contact the Homeless Persons Information Queensland (HPIQ) freecall 1800 4747 53. You can also visit the Department of Housing website for information on homelessness services or contact your local Housing Services Office.

Interpreter services

When calling a government department or a tenant advice service free interpreter assistance can be provided if needed. Let the service know if you need an interpreter. Alternately you can call the TIS interpreter service directly on 131 450 and ask them to connect you to a service.

Queensland tenancy information is available in other languages  on the RTA website.